Wed. Mar 22nd, 2023

Following a week of cardiac arrest, NFL player Damar Hamlin was released from the hospital after doctors said he was “doing well.”

A week after experiencing heart arrest, Buffalo Bills safety and NFL player Damar Hamlin was discharged from the University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

In addition to announcing the positive news, Hamlin tweeted that he would be visiting Buffalo General Hospital to continue his testing and be monitored.

The safety wrote, “Headed home to Buffalo today with a lot of love on my heart.” It was very great to witness the world come together around me on Sunday. I intend to return more of the same love that you all have shown me to the globe. Greater than football!’


This comes just one week after Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest during Week 17’s Monday Night Football game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

‘I can confirm he is doing well and this is the beginning of the next stage of his recovery,’ said UC’s Dr. William Knight.

‘We continue to be ecstatic about his recovery,’ Dr. Timothy Pritts added.

A day earlier, Hamlin cheered his team from his hospital bed as his Bills defeated the New England Patriots in Orchard Park in front of a raucous home crowd that held up signs wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hamlin tweeted his thoughts on the game, commenting on his teammates’ three interceptions and kick returner Nyheim Hines’ touchdown to open play on Sunday.

‘We have permission from him and his family to let you know he watched the game on Sunday,’ Pritts said.

‘He was beyond excited and feels very supported by the outpouring of love from across the league.

‘We learned this week that the Bills Mafia is a very real thing and we all feel the love from you in Western New York.

‘When the opening kickoff was run back he jumped up and down, got out of his chair, set I think every alarm off in the ICU in the process.’


Hamlin collapsed early on in last Monday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals after tackling Bengals receiver Tee Higgins.

He was attended to by members of the Bills training staff, including Denny Kellington – who was identified as the man who gave Hamlin necessary CPR.

Hamlin was then taken to the UC Medical Center where he was resuscitated and intubated.

Within a matter of days, Hamlin had woken up, was communicating with doctors, and had his breathing tube removed.

He later spoke with his Bills teammates from his hospital bed, which came as a pleasant surprise to Bills coach Sean McDermott and everyone who watched him get rushed to the hospital at the beginning of last week.

Leave a Reply